INTURN is the leading global platform that standardizes the way the retail industry plans, shops and transact off-price inventory.
Inturn is looking to hire a Senior Director of Engineering to lead multiple agile development teams in the planning, design, development, delivery, and support of our core platform. This role is a highly technical, tactical and strategic engineering leadership position, working closely with Product leadership to define and deliver leading edge offerings and innovations. Expertise in agile software development, product development, and micro-services based operations is a requirement.
The Senior Director of Engineering is both a people management role as well as a hands-on technical role. This role is responsible for helping to build, scale, and optimize features on the Inturn platform and internal applications.
The candidate must have strong familiarity with micro-service architectures and leading teams from a monolithic architecture to micro-services. The candidate must also have familiarity with event-driven systems, distributed workflows and data pipelines for efficient processing of large amounts of data.
This role supports the engineering team by providing:
- architectural oversight for all work done on the platform
- guidance for scaling and optimizing the platform
- integration and performance testing strategies
- thought leadership on new and emerging technologies and how they can be leveraged by Inturn
The candidate must possess strong communication skills and the ability to translate and break down technical language and concepts into easy-to-understand terms. The candidate will lead a group of engineers in a hands-on role, helping them to increase their skill and guarantee a consistently high quality of team results.
Technologies we use: Go, Temporal, Kubernetes, Nomad, Node (ES6 JS), Typescript, React,, ElasticSearch, Postgres, Redis, AWS, Docker, Git, Laravel, PHP 7
This position is remote with occasional meet ups in New York City.
- Lead, manage, and foster the Engineering team to ensure professional and skill development
- Mentor team members in order to promote career growth and improve their technical, problem solving, and collaborative skills
- Be a thought leader and actively engage in continuously improving technology, architecture and methodologies.
- Review existing solutions, projects, and infrastructure to provide recommendations for enhancements and structural improvements.
- Collaborate with Product and Client owners on key business initiatives and features.
- Work with senior leadership and subject matter experts to understand current and future operational goals.
- Execute and deliver on technical specifications and designs for projects
- Implement coding and process changes to improve the overall quality of software development
- Participate in the procurement of new software tools and services by obtaining required information from vendors; recommending purchases; testing and approving products
- Display strategic thinking and deliver sustainable solutions, keeping an eye towards simplicity, scalability, extensibility, and performance
- Strong CS skills with 7+ years in professional software engineering experience
- Strong background in building scalable, fault-tolerant applications with an expertise in at least of one or more of the following languages: Go/C++/Java/Python
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Familiarity with Kubernetes, Nomad and Temporal
- Familiarity with SQL and no-SQL data stores
- Experience with micro-service architectures (SOA)
- Prior experience with design standards to deliver maintainable code
- A track record of organizing a team that writes maintainable, testable code
- Ability to architect solutions from a problem definition
- Willingness to learn and try new technologies
- Experience managing a team across the stack, including recruiting and team building.
- Ability to mentor and develop team members
- Previous startup experience
- BA/BS is required
- Advanced degree is a plus
Benefits & Perks
- Personal Development Spend and Wellness stipend ($3200.00/year)
- Sabbatical (after 4 years you get an additional month off)
- Medical, dental and vision health care
- Paid Parental leave (12 weeks)
- 401k retirement plan
- Paid vacation days: 18
- Unlimited sick time (Humans First! policy)
- Equity options
- Company events